Kirby (pop 8,664) is situated 8 miles northeast of downtown San Antonio on Farm-to-Market (FM) 78. It owes much of its’ existence to becoming a rail station on the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway in 1877. The city was served by a post office in the early 1900s, but eventually that was closed and moved to Converse.
In 1955, Kirby incorporated and its’ population swelled.
School-aged children attend Judson Independent School District schools.