Advertisement

St. Hedwig

Near the junction of Farm Roads 1346 and 1518, St Hedwig is located 16 miles east of downtown San Antonio. The area was first settled in 1852 by John Demmer, a Silesian, who was soon followed by four other Silesians. The group then built a log cabin that served as the first church for the community. A post office open in 1860 and in 1877, the area was named St. Hedwig for the duchess and patron saint of Silesia.

Just before the turn of the 20th century, in 1897, the mostly Polish and German population, primarily from Gross Strehlitz in Upper Silesia, numbered 200 families. In 1945,  a general store serviced a population of 100, which has grown steadily through the years. St. Hedwig incorporated in the 1970s and in the 2020 census, had 2,474 residents.

Children living in St. Hedwig attend East Central Independent School District schools.

Metro Area Cities