Leon Valley (pop 12,199) was developed in the 1940s as a farming community on State Highway 16 (Bandera Road) between Helotes and San Antonio. In 1952, residents opted for incorporating the area to avoid being incorporated into either Helotes or San Antonio. And in 1954 it was done.
Much of Bandera Road is of the commercial nature and Leon Valley residents avail themselves of shopping in that area.
School-aged children attend schools in the Northside Independent School District.